History

The town of Goshen contains a large portion of the Mohawk State Forest. First settled in 1738, the town was incorporated a year later. Primarily a farming community in the 18th century, Goshen also prospered in business. During the American Revolution the town manufactured musket rifles. A portion of the Appalachian Trail once ran through the town until it was re-routed west of the Housatonic River. Today, Goshen Center and West Goshen are the town’s two principal communities.