History

The town of Morris is located in Litchfield County in the northwest portion of the state. Settled around 1723, it was organized as the South Farms parish in 1676, but it was not until 1859 that Morris incorporated and became a separate town from Litchfield. Named for Revolutionary War soldier James Morris, the town had opened its homes during the conflict to quarter patriots traveling from other New England towns to battles in New York. Initially a farming town, Morris retained its rural nature and is the home to Bantam Lake, the state’s largest natural lake.